1 – 3 DAYS PRACTICAL COURSE IN FILM MAKING FOR HUMANITARIAN PROFESSIONALS
DoGoodFilms is the leader in the field of humanitarian and non-profit video production. With over a decade of experience working with non-profits, communities and development agencies big and small, we have an unmatched experience and knowledge that can help you turn your team into audio visual story tellers.
WHO IS THE COURSE FOR?
This course is specifically designed for NGO personnel and those in the field: field and communications staff and first responders. In humanitarian settings time is often of the essence: Getting content out to the world in humanitarian disasters and emergencies, documenting programs and capturing stories without the time-consuming, logistically difficult and expensive field visits from consultants and big crews. This course will give you the basics of production that can turn you into a storyteller, giving you an advantage with an added skill that NGOs need and giving NGOs extra resource to work with while communicating their work to wide audiences.
ABOUT THE COURSE
The humanitarian video production course will teach you how to produce quality audio visual material, how to avoid the common mistakes amateur film makers often make and most importantly how to bring the stories from the field to your supporters, partners, funders and the wider audience.
This course is aimed at small groups (max 10 people) to ensure the maximum impact and benefit to the participants.
In this 1 – 3 days myth busting session you will learn that you don’t need to wave around thousands of $$$ to produce good quality content. Our training is packed with practical examples, tips and secrets we kept under a lid until now. You will learn how to overcome the challenges of field production, navigate the legal minefield of GDPR, master social media platforms and produce videos that inform, challenge and move audiences.
You will also have a chance to produce your own film under the professional supervision to put your newly acquired skills into practice and get invaluable feedback from industry experts. The course is designed to be as practical as possible focusing on the outcome rather than the science behind film image and sound. You can relax, we won’t be overwhelming you with colour spaces, LUTs, dynamic ranges and other geeky language pros throw at their unsuspecting clients to justify their high fees.
Participants will also receive the course presentation slides and links to further resources and audio and video stock libraries that fit the budgets of non-profit community.
FRAMES AND PIXELS AND GIGABYTES: CHOSE HOW TO SHOOT
– Frame rates, frame sizes, frame durations, PAL and NTSC standards.
– Data and performance requirements (We promise this intro will be short)
STORY IN THE AGE OF SOCIAL MEDIA
– How long is too long? Insights from the social media platforms
– Humanitarian storytelling: Who is saying what to whom, why and how
– Constructing a narrative: Know your story as if you didn’t know your story
HARDWARE ON A SHOESTRING
– In this section we will discuss the pros and cons of some readily available cheap options
to make a compelling story: DSLRs and mobile phones plus peripherals such as
microphones, sound recorders, headphones, tripods, pillows (yes, pillows) and other
things you really will need to get a quality picture and sound.
– Interview led
– Piece to camera
– Voice over (script led)
– Interview types and framing
– Contextual footage
– Shutter speed and F stop: why care about this
– Working with natural light
– Working with sound
– Shot types (wide, medium, close up, slo motion, time lapse)
SECURING YOUR PRODUCTION
– Pre-production – do your homework first!
– Post production
– Informed consent and GDPR requirements
– Editing a story
– Music rights and licensing
– Using still images in a video
– Captioning and subtitling
– User generated content (yes, the shaky portrait footage your colleague shot on his/her
– Simple graphics hacks to enhance your message
– Optimising your workflow: compressions, uploads and data management
– Facebook, Instagram, youtube, twitter… know their limitations
– Durations and versions
– Square or wide? Navigating the social media world
PUTTING THE THEORY INTO PRACTICE (optional, 1 day)
– In this section you will making your own movie with professional mentoring and feedback from DoGoodFilms team.
For more information and to book your training please contact us email@example.com or use the contact form below.